Driving mode B on highway?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KumarP

Hey everyone,

New soul EV user, with one trip so far. Car left dealer with 130 miles on odo and a few quick charges under its belt. Showed 84 mile range after quick charge, and I proceeded on a 62 mile trip home that was mostly highway at about 45 deg F with headlights on. After first 25 miles, noticed it was going to be tight, so I started driving slowly and carefully. Then came the hills. Made it back with 5 miles to spare, exhilarated and a little freaked out.

I'm wondering- would I have gotten better range in normal D mode? I had it in B the whole time. Didn't have any HVAC going, didn't have stereo on.

Thanks!

Happy to be here,
Kumar

Quick charging by default only charges to 83%, so you probably started out missing 17% of your charge.

B Mode only increases off-throttle regen. For best range one must minimize changing speeds as much as possible. Each conversion of kinetic energy to regen to the batteries then back out of the system to the motor "loses" energy. So, if you were inadvertently having tons of small changes of speed due to sloppy throttle application, B Mode would exacerbate your conversion losses.

You can minimize losses by using cruise control to keep inputs clean, or by watching the power meter and keeping things smooth and steady. Jumping on and off the accelerator is bad for range in any situation, but especially in B Mode.

Edit: The car's guess-o-meter is pessimistic by default; use the battery percentage in the "EV" screen to more accurately gauge state of charge. The car goes into turtle at 3% and kaput at 0%. The GOM goes to --- with quite a bit of charge remaining (perhaps 5 miles). Also, the radio, seat heaters/coolers, and heated wheel have roughly no impact on range. HVAC does impact range, of course.

Based on your description you started out with 83% SOC, drove 62 miles and had 5 miles on the GOM and five more miles in the tank below ---. Some sort of driving inefficiency gobbled up about 10 miles of range based on what I've been seeing. If you weren't using cruise or you were driving over 62 MPH, that would account for it, regardless of B Mode selection.

Using Driving Mode B on the highway can be a mixed experience. While it enhances regenerative braking, potentially improving fuel efficiency in stop-and-go traffic, it may feel a bit too aggressive for sustained high-speed driving. The increased regenerative braking can catch you off guard, affecting the smoothness of your highway ride. Consider toggling between modes based on the driving conditions to strike the right balance between efficiency and a seamless highway driving experience. Personal preferences may vary, so it's worth experimenting to find what works best for you.

Using Driving Mode B on the highway can be a mixed experience. While it enhances regenerative braking, potentially improving fuel efficiency in stop-and-go traffic, it may feel a bit too aggressive for sustained high-speed driving. The increased regenerative braking can catch you off guard, affecting the smoothness of your highway ride. Consider toggling between modes based on the driving conditions to strike the right balance between efficiency and a seamless highway driving experience. Personal preferences may vary, so it's worth experimenting to find what works best for you.Nrega Job Card List

If I'm driving on the highway for more than a short distance I usually take it off 'B' mode and just use 'D'. If highway traffic is uncongested then it probably won't matter.

That 84 miles was an estimate based on the default values and the driving that had been done in its 130 miles. My rule of thumb is to assume I will only get 75% of the estimated range - you did better than that.

I don't think much of a dealer who didn't supply the car with 100% charge.

Just took my new Soul EV for its inaugural drive! Left the dealership with 130 miles on the odometer and a couple of quick charges already done. After a quick charge, it showed an 84-mile range, so I embarked on a 62-mile journey home, mostly on the highway, with temperatures around 45°F and headlights on. About 25 miles in, I realized it might be a close call, so I adjusted my driving to be extra cautious and slow. Then came the hills... Managed to make it back with just 5 miles to spare. Feeling both exhilarated and a tad freaked out from the experience.
bhulekh mp
You'll begin to crave that exhilarating feeling that comes with barely making it home, I call it "range anticipation!". lol. I kid.

Using Economy mode and "Driver only" heating and cooling mode (if alone) can make a noticeable improvement in range for longer drives, as can reducing your speed (if on the highway).

Yes, the dealer should have topped it up for you before your trip.

Range anxiety

Range anxiety is the driver's fear that a vehicle has insufficient energy storage to cover the road distance needed to reach its intended destination, and would thus strand the vehicle's occupants mid-way.
Ours started when purchased. 8 hr drive across 2 states turned into 3 days. First learned that Chademo would fail to release when done charging. Had that happen 3 times in the first couple months until I studied the charge plug and determined how exactly it was getting stuck and what to do to release it. Then we discovered how sparse Chademo really was. The desert drive pushed the limits of the 2019 with no chargers in sight. Barely making it home from the dealer, having to use level 2s to hopscotch through town.

Our first month, we didn't have a home charger and learned how few Chademo there were in the area (3). The nissan dealer the closest was free, but a slower level 3.

Couple times we were down to turtle before it reduced speed.

And one time the car didn't charge overnight and the wife found the Chademo station down and misjudged charge level versus distance to next level 2 and managed to kill it on the freeway. Luckily the extended warranty had towing and we just had them drop it at a charge station.

The Soul EV is rather boxy, not very aerodynamic. So, the faster you go the more drag there is and the less range you will get. Our 2017 for example may show 119 miles at 100% in summer, but will only get about 70-80 miles on the highway (I've not accurately checked exact range). That of course is depending on your speed, headwind,... The range it shows is a guesstimate depending on outside temperate, battery temp, heating/cooling, past power useage... I find in ours, it underestimates range near the top of charge, overestimates near the bottom of charge. If your getting to pucker factor state of charge while driving, turn off anything you don't need, slow down, turn on "ECO" mode (it reduces acceleration power ramp, I leave it on. It just takes more throttle if you need to go quickly). That will extend your range while getting to a charger.

As for B mode driving, I use it almost always. It just takes a little getting use to. You will be driving smooth in very little time. You will soon learn how early to start backing off to get max regen without needing to use brakes except for final stop/hold. One caveat to "B" mode, in winter driving in snow/slippery conditions, (at least in ours) it can cause loss of control if you also use the brakes. The software does not reduce regen as you apply brakes. Especially if sudden. It can lock up the front wheels easily, not so critical in good conditions, but in bad... So, in slippery conditions, use "D".

Another downside to B on the freeway is Cruise Control. The slowdown when you approach a vehicle in front can be quite harsh.

Downside to B is no brake lights so watch your 6.

That and it really sucks when you get back in a gasser.
Wrong, brake lights come on automatically when slowing more than a tiny bit in regen mode. Watch your mirror at night, you will see them come on as you regen, go off when not (or only a tiny bit).

Seems you have to be off or nearly off the accelerator and then yes, it will come on. I don't think that's how I approach red lights. I generally back the peddle off, you feel the regen kick in and keep it 'slow' hoping to catch the green.

It was strange that I wasn't feeling it kick in like I'm used to. Did they change the settings with the last recall?

Back