Driving mode B on highway?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KumarP

Hey everyone,

New soul EV user, with one trip so far. Car left dealer with 130 miles on odo and a few quick charges under its belt. Showed 84 mile range after quick charge, and I proceeded on a 62 mile trip home that was mostly highway at about 45 deg F with headlights on. After first 25 miles, noticed it was going to be tight, so I started driving slowly and carefully. Then came the hills. Made it back with 5 miles to spare, exhilarated and a little freaked out.

I'm wondering- would I have gotten better range in normal D mode? I had it in B the whole time. Didn't have any HVAC going, didn't have stereo on.

Thanks!

Happy to be here,
Kumar

Quick charging by default only charges to 83%, so you probably started out missing 17% of your charge.

B Mode only increases off-throttle regen. For best range one must minimize changing speeds as much as possible. Each conversion of kinetic energy to regen to the batteries then back out of the system to the motor "loses" energy. So, if you were inadvertently having tons of small changes of speed due to sloppy throttle application, B Mode would exacerbate your conversion losses.

You can minimize losses by using cruise control to keep inputs clean, or by watching the power meter and keeping things smooth and steady. Jumping on and off the accelerator is bad for range in any situation, but especially in B Mode.

Edit: The car's guess-o-meter is pessimistic by default; use the battery percentage in the "EV" screen to more accurately gauge state of charge. The car goes into turtle at 3% and kaput at 0%. The GOM goes to --- with quite a bit of charge remaining (perhaps 5 miles). Also, the radio, seat heaters/coolers, and heated wheel have roughly no impact on range. HVAC does impact range, of course.

Based on your description you started out with 83% SOC, drove 62 miles and had 5 miles on the GOM and five more miles in the tank below ---. Some sort of driving inefficiency gobbled up about 10 miles of range based on what I've been seeing. If you weren't using cruise or you were driving over 62 MPH, that would account for it, regardless of B Mode selection.

Using Driving Mode B on the highway can be a mixed experience. While it enhances regenerative braking, potentially improving fuel efficiency in stop-and-go traffic, it may feel a bit too aggressive for sustained high-speed driving. The increased regenerative braking can catch you off guard, affecting the smoothness of your highway ride. Consider toggling between modes based on the driving conditions to strike the right balance between efficiency and a seamless highway driving experience. Personal preferences may vary, so it's worth experimenting to find what works best for you.

Using Driving Mode B on the highway can be a mixed experience. While it enhances regenerative braking, potentially improving fuel efficiency in stop-and-go traffic, it may feel a bit too aggressive for sustained high-speed driving. The increased regenerative braking can catch you off guard, affecting the smoothness of your highway ride. Consider toggling between modes based on the driving conditions to strike the right balance between efficiency and a seamless highway driving experience. Personal preferences may vary, so it's worth experimenting to find what works best for you.Nrega Job Card List

If I'm driving on the highway for more than a short distance I usually take it off 'B' mode and just use 'D'. If highway traffic is uncongested then it probably won't matter.

Back