Future Battery Upgrade

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johntox

I am bummed that I paid $32k for Soul that goes 100 miles and next year Tesla Model 3 comes out at $35k and goes 215 miles. It will also have more than double cargo space due to the front trunk availability and being longer. What I hope is that maybe Kia will allow battery upgrade when more efficient battery becomes available. That would be a big plus and I won't be as upset that I got ripped off now.

For starters, I love Tesla and everything they have done.
When my Soul is paid off, I have been debating whether I replace the Camry with a Model 3 or a used Model S. I decided on a MS because I want a large car for trips.

But you have the Soul now. I am saving $1k/yr in gas right now. And burning $1300 less gas/yr.
I am making these differences now.

The Model 3 release is at least 2 years out. They have a waiting queue of >300k.
It will be four years before you even need to worry about a M3.

Place a reservation if it will make you feel better. But no one will be sitting in them for a long time. You are making a difference now.

wrickcook said:
For starters, I love Tesla and everything they have done.
When my Soul is paid off, I have been debating whether I replace the Camry with a Model 3 or a used Model S. I decided on a MS because I want a large car for trips.

But you have the Soul now. I am saving $1k/yr in gas right now. And burning $1300 less gas/yr.
I am making these differences now.

The Model 3 release is at least 2 years out. They have a waiting queue of >300k.
It will be four years before you even need to worry about a M3.

Place a reservation if it will make you feel better. But no one will be sitting in them for a long time. You are making a difference now.

Thanks for encouragement. My wife said the same thing. It's about environment. Helps. I actually bought a Model S. Musk said Model S owners help make model 3 possible. Economically, buying electric now is not sound but other factors do matter. There's a chance that Model 3 will not get the tax credits from fed or state. I get $2500 rebate from CA and $7500 credit from Feds. The Soul is really $22k then.

I personally would not be surprised if KIA does not offer an upgraded battery or if the cost of the battery would be the same as replacing it today, around $13,000. The traditional model of automakers and dealerships is to Sell New Cars, for that they bring out new designs, added features and improve performance that encourage people to purchasing new cars. This might change, I really hope so.

The main reason I would be interested in a Tesla after the lease of my KIA is over is because, if I am correct, how Elon Musk is changing the dynamic of automakers/customer and allowing updates direct to the car, possible upgrades to battery when future technology is available and not looking to just sell new cars (again I hope) although this could change as well.

3.5 years is a long time and much could change before then, time remaining on my current lease. Much can change.

johntox said:
Musk said Model S owners help make model 3 possible.

I totally agree. I am thankful to all the Roadster and MS owners for making this dream a reality.
They started the momentum that is now turning into a cresting wave.

Back