Home charging

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikeh

Sorry if this is a dumb question. I am thinking of getting an EVSE for home charging of my existing conversion and (when I can get one) a Soul EV. Does the onboard charger work adequately from a unit supplying 208VAC? I'm looking at getting a 30 amp output charging station.

Mike

Mikeh said:
Sorry if this is a dumb question. I am thinking of getting an EVSE for home charging of my existing conversion and (when I can get one) a Soul EV. Does the onboard charger work adequately from a unit supplying 208VAC? I'm looking at getting a 30 amp output charging station.

Mike
Assuming you're referring to the built-in charger on the car and not the portable charger that comes with it, all OBCs will work just fine with 200-250 volts. In the U.S. most public L2 EVSEs are 208 Volts, while most home ones are 240V - you'll get slightly more power from the latter, as the current stays the same. Home EVSEs rated for either 30 or 32 Amps output will require a dedicated 40 amp circuit, as the circuit must be de-rated to no more than 80% of its nominal capacity for continuous use (3 or more hours at a given current).

Typical public chargers run at 208 volts nominal, but that often works out to closer to 200 volts or even less sometimes.

Thanks for that. Now if only I could get my hands on a Soul EV!

Mike

GRA said:
Mikeh said:

Mike
Assuming you're referring to the built-in charger on the car and not the portable charger that comes with it, all OBCs will work just fine with 200-250 volts. In the U.S. most public L2 EVSEs are 208 Volts, while most home ones are 240V - you'll get slightly more power from the latter, as the current stays the same. Home EVSEs rated for either 30 or 32 Amps output will require a dedicated 40 amp circuit, as the circuit must be de-rated to no more than 80% of its nominal capacity for continuous use (3 or more hours at a given current).

Mikeh,

I'm charging My Soul EV with a "Bosch EL-51254 Power Max 30 Amp Electric Vehicle Charging Station with 25' Cord" with No issues so far..

I'm getting around a 25% charge per hour of charge time.

LOL... I had the unit installed at my home before I took delivery of the car..

(I pre-ordered my Soul EV in mid September from the Concord CA dealer).

I just purchased the 30A Schneider EVLink with an 18' cord. It is getting hocked up on Monday.

The 110v trickle charger provided with the car is really, really, really slow. 12 hours for 50% charge.
If you don't do a lot of driving, it works fine for topping off each day.
Otherwise, find the local free charging spots! :)

Back