is there a negative effect on battery longevity each plugin?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carverbaby

i don't have an L2 charger so i just use the 110v one that came w/ the car. Since a full charge takes ~24 hrs, i can't ever get a full charge in one night. is it 'bad' for the battery if i plug in to 110v multiple times a day? kind of similar to cell phone batteries where each plug in is kind of like a 'charge cycle'.... wondering if it's worth getting a portable L2 charger.

thanks

I did a bit of reading on LiPo (lithium-ion polymer) batteries - from one of the articles at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery#Charge_and_discharge

it indicates the battery should be fully charged at least every 5000 hrs, which would be approximately every 6 or 7 months. So it sounds like it would be OK, but you might want to ask Kia directly.

Get an L2 charger! It's a life saver!! :cool:

The frequency of plugging in shouldn't have near as much impact as the temperature of the battery pack while it's charging. For example, some Nissan leaf owners in hot climates have experienced accelerated battery degradation because their pack gets too hot while charging during the heat of the day. Because the battery pack warms up while in use, my Dad is super conscious letting his Leaf cool down after getting home before plugging it in for the night.

carverbaby said:
is it 'bad' for the battery if i plug in to 110v multiple times a day? kind of similar to cell phone batteries where each plug in is kind of like a 'charge cycle'...

Who dreamed that up? Never heard of or seen that and I've been studying and working with various lithium batteries for several years now. In fact, I'd wager that the fully charge every 5000 hours mentioned has more to do with calibrating the electronics than making the battery last longer. What do you think happens when you let up on the throttle? That's right, regen. It charges the batteries. Though not exactly perfect, it takes ten 10% "cycles" to equal one 100% cycle. The reason it isn't exactly equal is that the batteries typically degrade more at the ends of the charge cycle. That is why most OEMs program the cars to not let you use 100% of the battery cycle.

fanbanlo said:
If you lease, don't have to care. :)
That's an interesting thought. With most vehicle components there is mention of some degree of reasonable wear-and-tear ... I wonder what is considered "reasonable" with the battery pack.

Even for a warranty replacement - how do they know if it is a faulty battery pack vs driving / charging ... Maybe, at this point, the technology is still considered too new to be able to tell ... but maybe if sufficient telemetry where built into the car, it would be possible to log all charge / discharge - a 128G or 256G flash drive is cheap now, and would hold an awful lot of data! At 1 16 byte log per second (every second of every day), that would be 272 years of logging on a 128G flash drive!!

tractioninc said:
Get an L2 charger! It's a life saver!! :cool:

The frequency of plugging in shouldn't have near as much impact as the temperature of the battery pack while it's charging. For example, some Nissan leaf owners in hot climates have experienced accelerated battery degradation because their pack gets too hot while charging during the heat of the day. Because the battery pack warms up while in use, my Dad is super conscious letting his Leaf cool down after getting home before plugging it in for the night.
Wouldn't he want to plug it in right away so that the car can run the fan to cool the battery? He'd just want to program the car to delay charging until the middle of the night when the battery would be cooler.

Back