KeithEV

Re: Should I return my 2016 Soul EV?

Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:49 am

notfred wrote:On your backup car check the cumulative charge and discharge figures. If the car has had a recent BMS update then it zeros out those counters and sets the SOH to 110% until it relearns the battery state. If the cumulative charge and discharge figures are very low then the SOH may not be a true reading.

That is an excellent insight, and one I was not aware of. Unfortunately this puts me in a bit of a bind, since I used SoulSpy on the Backup car yesterday, but did not think to look at those figures. I was suspicious about how a 4 year-old car with ~20k miles was able to maintain it's better so well (I thought perhaps the battery had been replaced by the former owner). Based on what you're saying though, it's possible the car was inspected and updated before this (non-Kia) dealer took possession.

As of right now, I only have a few hours to decide whether to go with the backup car (as I was now intending to do), so time is of the essence. I may not get another chance to check the 'counters' until after the first car is returned. So in the chance that I am able, let me make sure I know exactly what I'm looking for. Are you referring to: 'battery.accumulative_charge_power_kWh' and 'battery.accumulative_discharge_power_kWh'?

Checking these now in the original car reads ~6080, so assuming 26kWh per charge gives me around 230 charging cycles (equivalent).

- Is this what you are referring to by 'counters'?
- If so, would something in the 250+ range be sufficient to 'reset' after a BMS update? (Roughly 10 charges)
- Is there any reliable indicator of whether this is the original battery (vs a replaced one) via SoulSpy?
- Can you predict how long it takes for the BMS to properly compensate for a BMS update? (In time or range)?

Thank you for your help!

notfred

Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:01 pm

Yes, those are the counters I was referring to. I'd guess that anything more than about 260 so 10 full charging cycles would be enough to allow the BMS to start relearning the SoH. By that point it may not have the actual values but it would definitely be trending in the right direction.

KeithEV

Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:04 pm

notfred wrote:Yes, those are the counters I was referring to. I'd guess that anything more than about 260 so 10 full charging cycles would be enough to allow the BMS to start relearning the SoH. By that point it may not have the actual values but it would definitely be trending in the right direction.

I did go ahead and return the first car today. :cry:

I didn't get a chance to check the counters on the backup yet, but the local Kia dealer was able to look it up by its VIN and verify that its last BMS update was about 18 months ago. That was enough confirmation for me until I can reach it.

Return to “Technical Discussions”