2016 Soul EV @ 3rd day: "Check EV System" light on. What the

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. It has been 2 weeks now, and I still see a higher initial GOM mileage reading after a full Level 2 charge. I guess that I am going to have to try a test by running the battery down all the way to see how far I can go.

Now my 2018 30kWh has got the same fault warning. I have used Torque to try to read the code(s), but it reports no faults recorded. The warning is still burning. Does this mean it's a false alarm?

IanL said:
Now my 2018 30kWh has got the same fault warning. I have used Torque to try to read the code(s), but it reports no faults recorded. The warning is still burning. Does this mean it's a false alarm?

Did you check with Torque before turning off the car when the warning is shown? At least I had this warning also once, but the torque fault code disappeared after car fully Off and then On. But I also had this fault once and it was still in the Torque fault log

Weird question, but - how good is your car's range?
Curious if this error light has something to do either with your battery pack, or a battery cell in the pack.

Just a thought I had when reading this.

After my last 100% charge, the GOM showed 150 miles, and the long-term energy consumption was 5,2 mi/kWh, so all looking good there. Last few days have been colder (heater in action), and it's dropped to 5.1, but that's to be expected. Using Soul EV Spy, the battery cells all read the same, except a couple which are 0.02V lower.

The fault indication has not returned. I have read somewhere about "phantom faults" and I wonder if anyone else has experienced this?

After having my On-Board Charger replaced, the 'Check EV System' light was gone for 3 weeks, but it showed up again this morning. It was gone by the early afternoon, and hasn't shown up again since. I'll see what happens tomorrow. In the meantime, my '16 Soul drives just fine, and, as noted in an earlier post above, the GOM range has increased by about 10 miles. I'm going to try to drive the car enough without charging to see if the range really has increased, or if it is just a figment of the GOM's imagination.

We have a 2018 Kia Soul EV and had the Check EV System warning light come on a couple of times over the course of 6 weeks or so. It was intermittent and only happened when my wife or daughter were driving, and because we don't have a dealer here that is familiar with these cars I was getting a little tense about it.

I am 90% sure that the culprit was a low battery in one of the key fobs. The key my wife and daughter share would trigger the Fob Low Battery message when the car was first turned on, and at one point in a parking lot the car actually turned off and restarted again, with that indication and the Check EV System light coming on.

I changed the battery in the fob over a month ago and we haven't seen either warning again (knocking wood furiously). If this was the issue it is a 30 second, $3 fix!

Back