Charging Fault error.

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is my replacement on sticker

YHJiAd5

http://imgur.com/YHJiAd5

nibularr said:
Here is my replacement on sticker
That OBC has the same version number 12.2R and date as your old one. You posted the image on 30th April. Is it the old one?
(Update - yes it is the old one! so ignore the next sentence.)
Did they just change the firmware and leave the original hardware in place?
The Mando sticker has the part number on it, as mentioned in the post above.
If you have Torque Pro installed, which version of the OBC software did you use before, and which now?

DeaneG said:
My new OBC is version 12.2R.
Your old car had a MY2015 OBC which can charge with full current.
Your fixed car had a MY2016 OBC which can charge with 85% current. Do you notice the difference?

JejuSoul said:
DeaneG said:
My new OBC is version 12.2R.
Your old car had a MY2015 OBC which can charge with full current.
Your fixed car had a MY2016 OBC which can charge with 85% current. Do you notice the difference?
I've just charged in the middle of the night so far, so any reduced charging rate hasn't been noticeable.

just to make sure i got the photos right i lined them up nicely here

NO310

http://imgur.com/a/NO310

as for torque i only paid for pro and installed it last month so i dont have any before obc info.

Thanks nibularr, the photo yesterday was the old one.
Your new OBC is new hardware. The version is the same, but the dates are different.
That both are version 12.2R seems to suggest that this problem is not fixed.

Two more reports. And am hearing chat about quite a few more in Korea

One from Germany --- AC-Ladung bricht nach ca. 30 Sekunden ab
300bar said:
Sequence for error:
- AC is connected
- The usual relay circuits are audible
- As usual lights / flashing lights, the number corresponding to the charge level.
- Download starts. The display also shows the remaining charge time is displayed and it is loaded

Error:
- During the charging process can be heard in the range hood continuously relay circuit every 2 seconds.
- After about 25-30 seconds cancels the charge
- All 3 lamps flash simultaneously
- After a further 5-10 seconds to go from these three lamps.
- The procedure can be repeated as often as

One on this forum from the Bay Area --- On-board Charger Kaput at 31,000 miles

iletric said:
I plugged in, relays clicked and then there were 10 tick sounds 1-3 seconds apart. Three lights blinked once in synchro, and charging died.

------------------------------------------

I have recently had similar errors while charging my car that are not OBC faults. Don't automatically assume that all charging errors mean your car has a problem. More often it is the wall box or L2 stand..

1/- AC is connected
- But no flashing lights.
- Download starts on the external display, Nothing in the car. After a few seconds it cuts out.
- When I unplug, start the car I get the 'External Charger Error' message on the Nav screen.

1/- AC is connected
- Normal flashing lights.
- But nothing in the car itself. No power at all is actually coming through.
-

I'm up here in the Sacramento CA area and just had the OBC replaced at 5400 miles. At first, whenever we plugged in the L2 charger it would show a really long charge time (14 - 20 hrs) but charged normally. Eventually, it would show the long charge time, then after about 2 minutes, it would just stop charging, all the flashing lights would stop flashing and when I turned the car on, I would see a charge error. Luckily, when it happened to me at work, I had enough miles on it to get it to the dealer.

I'm kind of shocked (heh, heh) that my OBC hasn't given up the ghost yet. I'm nearing 30,000 miles in a warm climate and I charge at 7.2 kW every day.

mtndrew1 said:
I'm kind of shocked (heh, heh) that my OBC hasn't given up the ghost yet. I'm nearing 30,000 miles in a warm climate and I charge at 7.2 kW every day.

(Knock on wood) I am a little over 10k miles with no issues.
I DO NOT use the charge scheduler (just climate). I doubt that has anything to do with it,but thought I would mention that detail

mtndrew1 said:
In the last few weeks we have had 3 reports from California (DeaneG / Iletric / Misha1B) which might suggest that the hot weather is somehow connected. But in that time there have also been reports from the UK and Germany. The starting point for these problems, and still the place with highest occurrence is Quebec, so I doubt that heat is an important part of the failure rate.

There does not seem to be a pattern in the data for distance driven. An example Misha1B just had the OBC replaced at 5400 miles. Older cars have failed more but that may just be that they have been around longer.
There are about 5,000 MY2015 on the road (lets say on average for 18 months.) These cars can charge at the full speed.
There are about 10,000 MY2016 on the road (lets say on average for 6 months.) The OBC is limited in these cars to about 85% of the maximum.

I too have a MY2015. I charge at 7,1kW most days. I have not had an OBC problem. There are lots of reports of MY2016 cars failing. Including two reports of replaced OBC failure. I do not think it is clear that the MY2016 fixed the problem.

The Soul EV uses a Mando OBC. It outputs 6.6kW. The max Input Voltage is 240 Vac

oqvbdj.jpg

Here is the new Hyundai Mobis OBC that comes with the new Ioniq EV. Just like ours it outputs 6.6kW. But the max Input Voltage is 285 Vac
There are about 1000 Ioniq EVs on the road here, but they've only been around for a month or so. As yet no reports of failure.

2v14654.jpg

I wonder if they used marginal parts in the Soul EV OBC? I have seen up to 125VAC on my 120V circuit which means that the 240VAC outlet I use would be at 250VAC meaning the voltage peak is even higher. Maybe the margin for over voltage isn't enough or that the parts were originally for use on the older 220VAC standard.

GizmoEV said:
I wonder if they used marginal parts in the Soul EV OBC? I have seen up to 125VAC on my 120V circuit which means that the 240VAC outlet I use would be at 250VAC meaning the voltage peak is even higher. Maybe the margin for over voltage isn't enough or that the parts were originally for use on the older 220VAC standard.

I mentioned this previously, I believe in this thread. Was wondering about voltages vs failure rates in different areas.

As for my vehicle (a 2016), I charge it at full current most of the time (28-30A), on a 208Y/120 service (meaning 2 phases out of 3, on a 3 phase supply). The measured voltage at my EVSE generally ranges from 209-212V RMS. Around 14,500km so far and no issues (knock on wood)...

BTW... just an aside, 125VAC on line-to-neutral does not necessarily mean 250VAC line-to-line. It generally does mean this will be the case if your service is single split-phase, but if you are on a 208Y/120, you can measure 120-125 VAC line-to-neutral, but still only get 208-212VAC line-to-line. This is due to the way the peaks of the phases line up... (the peaks of any 2 of of the phases in a "single phase" residential service supplied by 2 out of the 3 phases). Confused the heck out of me at first before I realized my service was from a 3 phase transformer... I expected higher line-to-line voltages, and couldn't figure out why I had ~122V line-to-neutral (either line), but then only 212V line-to-line! Made for some enlightening reading ;)

Some comments about the new Hyundai Mobis OBC that comes with the new IONIQ EV. Just like ours it outputs 6.6kW. But the max Input Voltage is 285 Vac
I do not think it is an easy replacement for Kia to switch out the current Mando OBC and replace it with a H yundai M obis OBC.
Possibly the MY2018 will do so, because there is a rumour that Kia will replace the current motor and electronics in the Soul EV for the Ioniq EV version.
Update: It didn't. The MY2018 Soul EV still has a Mando OBC.

There's some info and pictures here http://en.mobis.co.kr/carPoint/contentsid/2021/index.do
Despite the image I think they just used the Soul EV as a sample car because the I oniq EV hadn't been released yet when they released the web page.

The new Hyundai Mobis OBC has integrated the OBC and the Low-Voltage DC-DC Converter. "To minimize the products and enhance the competitiveness of their prices, we have conducted research on designing an integrated module of the converter and the charger."

Here's a cut-away view of the Ioniq EV's OBC.

syxkcy.jpg

Update: There's a newer version that supports V2G - Hyundai Mobis develops on-board bi-directional charger for V2G applications

2016Electric said:
GizmoEV said:
BTW... just an aside, 125VAC on line-to-neutral does not necessarily mean 250VAC line-to-line. It generally does mean this will be the case if your service is single split-phase...

Yes, I'm on split phase and should have mentioned it. I'm only charging at 20A (really 18.4A because of the derating of the 2016 Soul EV) and have over 21k miles on it. When traveling I usually use CHAdeMO so this car probably hasn't seen much 240V at full current.

I understand the difficulty people have in understanding why 2 phases of 3 phase power doesn't just add the RMS voltage. It is really nothing more than the sum of two graphs. Based on how many of my students struggled with the concept, even two graphs of lines added, it is understandable that many don't quite get it.

I have a slightly different version of this fault. I did get the 'Charger Error!' message, but it went away after a CHAdeMO charge. It's currently at the dealer, and I assume since they aren't going to be able to replicate the fault, that they are going to not replace the OBC. But we'll see. When I get it back, I'll check the version number and date. Unfortunately, this was on the first day of my vacation, while driving down to LA via the 101. Had to cancel the rest of the trip, as there were no DC charging options for longer than my range... :(

Here are the details on my fault:

External power was from a SemaConnect ChargePro, which I had actually charged successfully from earlier in the day. Weather was approximately 95 degrees, and was this yesterday in Soledad, CA. (Southern Bay Area).

2016 Soul EV+ / 1664 Miles / SemaConnect ChargePro Level 2 / 95°F (35°C)

WaeIk0Z.png

Here are the exact specifics:
9/17:
- Had the car on a Level 1 outlet for 12 hours overnight before the day the charger failed.
9/18:
Completed charging the remaining 20% on a Level 2 for 1 hour.
- 40 minutes of driving.
- Drove ~28 miles and topped off the battery on a Level 2.
- 15 minutes of driving for about 7 miles.
- 1.5 hours of car parked.
- 15 minutes of driving with a mile and a half of extended low-regen downgrade.
- Went to top off the battery at the same charge used previously in the day, and it wouldn't take the current.
- 'Charger Error!' display on the driver screen.
- Tried multiple power cycles for the car, and starting and stoping the Level 2 station, with no success.
- Looked into the problem on some Soul EV forums, where there was a suggestion that Level 3 charging could still be functional.
- Car continued to display 'Charger Error!' during the startup System Check, even when disconnected from power.
- Backtracked ~28 miles to closest Level 3 charger.
- Car still displayed 'Charger Error!' during the startup System Check.
- Charged successfully on Level 3 for about 20 minutes.
- Drove another 50 miles to Gilroy, and charged on Level 3 for another 20 minutes.
- 'Charger Error!' did not appear after charging so I decided to try another Level 2 charge.
- Level 2 charge was accepted by the charger and I topped it off for an additional 1h30m.

crm114 do you know what the version number and date was on the OBC sticker of the possibly faulty unit?

- Tried multiple power cycles for the car, and starting and stoping the Level 2 station, with no success.

The charger system can be isolate (like i see on the chademo charge) from the whole process of the car (and it's a good thing).

Just a specific question : i have 2-3 error BLUE LED blinking (3 LED at the same time blink).
Have you this BEFORE the message error on the dashboard ?

other question : the 3 blinking BLUE led are isolte from the car, i can drive or shutdown ... and they always blink after this for a period of 1 minute.

Have you try to :
- unplug the charger cord
- lock the car (and close the charger door of Soul EV before)
- walk from 100 meter to avoid detection of the wireless key
- wait 3 minutes
- and go and retry to charge ?

The fault can be a spark on the reading process for the EVSE signal (PILOT 12v wire signal linked to the EARTH-ground of the 12v signal).

I didn't know to capture the OBC details before I took it in, and they just called to let me know they are going to replace it. (It's going to take them 2 days to get the replacement.)

I'll certainly verify it's the V12.2 part once they install it, and snap a photo for you all.

Lots more reports about OBC replacements.

On this forum, the first one from Washington State - My First Problem

A couple more in Germany, including another possible double failure. - AC-Ladung bricht nach ca. 30 Sekunden ab

And a lot more on these facebook threads - https://www.facebook.com/groups/SoulEV/permalink/1132712456809366/ and https://www.facebook.com/groups/SoulEV/permalink/1034712466609366/
Hard to keep track but there seems to be 3 from California, 2 from Canada and 1 from UK. At least one more double failure.
One comment posted today suggests, "Kia issued a factory service bulletin last week about it". Anyone got a link for this.

I received the "External Charger Error" message on my navigation screen last Friday just after starting the vehicle and the vehicle was not plugged in for a few days.
The car was towed 160 miles to the nearest EV certified dealer in MA because there are none in my home state of ME. Kia roadside assistance agreed to pay for the tow after several hours of explaining the situation to them - not much fun.
The dealer called this morning and asked me questions like "have you charged anywhere new recently?" and "when and where was the last time you charged?".
They said the technician found a code and cleared it, after which they were able to charge the car. After I answered their questions they said the technician will spend some more time on it and call me back.

Also, I run an auto repair shop and have access to factory repair data and TSB's via an aftermarket company. I do not see a new TSB related to the on board charger but this data might take a while to make it's way from the factory site.

UPDATE: Dealer just confirmed that the on board charger is faulty. A new one has been ordered and he said I should have my car back by the end of the week. I'm still working on a loaner car and a way to get to the dealer when my car is done.

2nd Update: OBC replaced. Car charging fine now.

Back