Self-introduction

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Locuturus

Hello! Melvin here - I’ve owned my 2016 Soul EV from July 2016 and have owned it ever since :) it’s been through a lot, replaced frame, new suspensions, new better battery (under warranty)

I hope eventually someone figures out how to improve the older soul batteries with more battery for the same weight, and we’re in business, love this little box :)

Looking forward to chatting with everyone!

Ormond Otvos, Richmond California. 2016 base model. 40,000 miles. Still on first tires, but soon new rain tires. Good mileage, still charges to 93 miles range, always level 2 charged except once to see if DCFC worked.
Fantastic car, use all the space often 5 adults plus luggage, small trees, 10 2x6s out the window, hitch with e-bike rack. No problems.

Hello! Melvin here - I’ve owned my 2016 Soul EV from July 2016 and have owned it ever since :) it’s been through a lot, replaced frame, new suspensions, new better battery (under warranty)

I hope eventually someone figures out how to improve the older soul batteries with more battery for the same weight, and we’re in business, love this little box :)

Looking forward to chatting with everyone!
I'm curious about the frame & suspension work you refer to. My 2016 makes a low-pitched squeak/groan going over bumps. I looked to see if there were any grease points on the suspension & found none, so I now suspect that I may have worn out a rubber part somewhere. What was the reason you did suspension work?

I'm curious about the frame & suspension work you refer to. My 2016 makes a low-pitched squeak/groan going over bumps. I looked to see if there were any grease points on the suspension & found none, so I now suspect that I may have worn out a rubber part somewhere. What was the reason you did suspension work?
LOL that was just stupidity on my part. I decided to take a route on the first day of a snowstorm down a relatively steep hill which ended in a roundabout. Didn't quite make the "round" part of the roundabout, almost hit a tree but instead turned and slammed the passenger side wheel into the curb, which given gravity+snow+tonnage of car resulted in a bent frame, broken suspension (no external damage though).

Though in regard to you feeling low pitched squeaking/groaning, it could be just an effect of a pretty silent EV and you're hearing everything. I recently heard the ticking in the fusebox below the steering wheel every time the rear wipers were on intermittent. Won't discount what you're hearing though - did you get Kia (wherever you are) to look at it in their EV Service?

I've had the same squeak/groan, and had the dealer look at it under the warranty twice. The first time, he changed the hatch dampers (struts), and it reduced the squeaks, but not the groans. The second time, he tightened the rear axle securing bolts (although he said he could see why it would help!) and the groans have gone, but some squeaks persist.

LOL that was just stupidity on my part. I decided to take a route on the first day of a snowstorm down a relatively steep hill which ended in a roundabout. Didn't quite make the "round" part of the roundabout, almost hit a tree but instead turned and slammed the passenger side wheel into the curb, which given gravity+snow+tonnage of car resulted in a bent frame, broken suspension (no external damage though).

Though in regard to you feeling low pitched squeaking/groaning, it could be just an effect of a pretty silent EV and you're hearing everything. I recently heard the ticking in the fusebox below the steering wheel every time the rear wipers were on intermittent. Won't discount what you're hearing though - did you get Kia (wherever you are) to look at it in their EV Service?
No, I've never had Kia look at it. It isn't a scary noise, (yet) so I'll wait until I'm taking it in for another reason, such as a recall.

Back