Setting up Torque to show BMS data

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also added my dashboard to the repo and renamed the files in order to have the screen size and density in the name. Since Torque has problem with different screen size, this may help users to choose a file that match their device!

I have updated the dashboards help page with the new name. - https://jejusoul.github.io/OBD-PIDs-for-HKMC-EVs/dashboards.html

SiLiZiUMM: It would be great if you could add an animated gif of your dashboard here. Also list the number of display screens needed to be set up in Torque for this dashboard to work..

Forgive me if that has not been answered already, but is there anyway to "auto-align" the dashboard? After a new install/import, all the readings are pretty much on top of each other. I see I am able to move them around one by one, but I was wondering if there was a easier option.

in french forum, a member use a tablet to re-organize the DASH ... and then, import to his proper phone.
but, no ... the author or Torque Pro don't indicate a way to do that.

I am still working on this but when I plug in my new kw902 elm327 it does not turn on. So naturally I press the button and then my car goes nuts and starts saying stop vehicle and check power supply. Even if I dont press the button it does the same thing. As soon as I remove it I have no issues with the car.

EDIT: I also tried with the car powered on already, and still the same issue. So I purchased a new device, and returning the other. There apparently is something wrong with it, and it shouldn't be doing this type of thing (as far as I know anyway).

apparently, a short-circuit from a data line to ground or 12v (in your OBD2 reader).
that's why the car is not happy ... :mrgreen:

I am not having any luck with these things. I even tried another vendor but I cant get it to work. I turn the car on, plug in the reader, and nothing. So I hit the button and the power light stays solid amber, but the others just blink and turn off. I tried even without starting the car and its the same issue.

EDIT: I am trying one more time, and if this doesn't work then I dunno... Maybe I am doing something wrong? I tried it on two cars, and both had the same issue.

No, if you don't see the OBD2 reader on the bluetooth in your phone, it's simply the adapter that it don't work.
It's normal.

hint for the beginners : http://www.mykiasoulev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=711&p=6146#p6135

That's why the author of Torque Pro warning about the "very poor" quality check on this device.
For me, it's the 3st ... the winner. ;)

For somes members in the french forum, they try 5 times before find a good and reliable adapter. :|

SoulEV2016 said:
No, if you don't see the OBD2 reader on the bluetooth in your phone, it's simply the adapter that it don't work.
It's normal.

hint for the beginners : http://www.mykiasoulev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=711&p=6146#p6135

That's why the author of Torque Pro warning about the "very poor" quality check on this device.
For me, it's the 3st ... the winner. ;)

For somes members in the french forum, they try 5 times before find a good and reliable adapter. :|

I feel a bit better now... at least it isn't me.

Here's a graph from an I o n i q EV using torque pro.

The car starts charging on a 16A cable with outside temps at -9C. Supposedly the battery temps are 0C
The battery heater is drawing 500W for 15 mins until it kicks out and the battery draws the full power.

Does this result make sense? Is it similar to our car?
Why does the battery heater temp seem to show -1C when the heater is off? Does the Soul EV do this?

I don't have a battery heater, and my ambient temp has never gone below zero this winter so I cannot test this.

We also have a quote from a Hyundai dealer
When charging: At temperatures below 5 ° C, the battery heater works. A separate PTC heating element is installed in front of the battery. When the vehicle is plugged in, the heating element is activated ...The battery is cooled by a blower at temperatures above 30 ° C.

from a canadian user of soul EV (read on this forum) :
the heater start to work at -15°C and heat at 18°C (heater information).

for me : i only have -9°C outside and -5°C on battery with my Soul EV and no heater in action with preheating cabin for example or in charge (but in charge, the battery is always at a positive temperature).

JejuSoul said:
Here's a graph from an I o n i q EV using torque pro.
The car starts charging on a 16A cable with outside temps at -9C. Supposedly the battery temps are 0C
The battery heater is drawing 500W for 15 mins until it kicks out and the battery draws the full power.

Does this result make sense? Is it similar to our car?
Why does the battery heater temp seem to show -1C when the heater is off? Does the Soul EV do this?
@JejuSoul, these Ioniq measurements, shown in your picture, were my first attempts to understand how the Ioniq works. But it's still not understood what these curves really mean. Also the explanation from the Ioniq dealer, that battery heater fan is active <5C, don't match with my measurements. Would be good to have more technical documentation, this would reduce the need for reverse engineering :) Your Torque informations help me a lot to play with the car, would like to thank you for this.
Could it be that maybe the Torque PIDs, taken from the Soul, are maybe not 100% compatible ? For me it's still strange that the shown battery temperature doesn't go below -1C even if the car is outside at -10C for 10 hours. If the measurement values are OK then this would mean that the isolation of the battery must be excellent, or the battery is heated even if it's unplugged. But then the battery state should show some missing kWh after 10 hours. I've the Ioniq now for about one month, it was always cold during this time. As soon as it's becoming warmer then I should be able to see if the battery temperature measurement results are going upwards so I know at least that these are really temperature measurement results shown in Torque.
Yesterday I've seen the new video from Tesla Bjørn, I wasn't aware that Ioniq and Soul are so similar and the Soul is such a great car.
https://youtu.be/Xu_a2MPUtco
That's why I registered here now even I don't own a Soul myself, it's a great way here to learn from Soul driver experiences :).

I can't seem to find how to get/install the HKMC-EV-Torque-Plugin. I checked the Google Play store and https://github.com/JejuSoul/HKMC-EV-Torque-Plugin and can't find it on the store or figure out how to manually install it from GitHub. Are the instructions posted somewhere?

The HKMC-EV-Torque-Plugin isn't finished. Anyone interested in helping develop the program should really install android studio and compile the source themselves.

If you just want to see the current state of progress there's an apk here. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7I8DFbItcp_bkFfLUF5eVpaRjg
It has hard coded vales for the Soul EV, and installs them into Torque.
You will need the latest version of Torque for this work.

Is there anyone else other than me using a very old version of Torque? I have a version of the plugin using deprecated code that will run on the old versions. Given that it is long deprecated this version is not something that I intend to release.

-----------------------------------------------

There's a great help page in French for setting up Torque Pro here - Kia SOUL EV : comment lire les différents capteurs via OBD-II

JejuSoul said:
Some users in Korea have started using our Torque Pro codes on the Kia Ray EV.
Many of the codes are the same. Although not min and max deterioration.

photo_2016-11-22_23-0pnjq9.jpg
What is this "remaining charge time" ?
its a formula or a real PIDs available on the CanBUS ?

Same question for the "total Battery kW" ... it's a Kwh-meter ? A formula or a PIDs ?

SoulEV2016 said:
What is this "remaining charge time" ?
its a formula or a real PIDs available on the CanBUS ?
Same question for the "total Battery kW" ... it's a Kwh-meter ? A formula or a PIDs ?
Both of those are calculations. Both based off SOC BMS. (The Ray EV does not have SOC Display).

Battery kWh = (total real battery capacity described in spec) * SOC BMS.
It is the remaining usable battery capacity in kWh

Remaining charging time = (fully charged usable battery capacity - remaining kWh) / BMS energy consumption

These formulae will be added later today to the github page - Ray EV/extendedpids/Kia_Ray_EV_Extra_gauges.csv
I have just asked how well these are working.

Back