Can Soul EV be driven aggressively? How's its handling?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fanbanlo

Still have not had a chance to test the Soul EV. If range is not an issue, how fun is this car to drive aggressively with instant torque? Or do the ultra low resistance tires give out too early?

The Soul EV actually handles much better than the gasoline-powered Soul, despite being more than 300 pounds heavier. There’s a more glued-to-the-pavement feel behind the wheel. But the low-rolling-resistance tires don’t have much grip—meaning that if you like to corner aggressively, you won’t enjoy the Soul EV to its fullest.
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1095790_2015-kia-soul-ev-video-road-test

Well, as the saying goes, it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. The tires are even less grippy than the EP422's on my old Leaf.

Can Soul EV be driven aggressively?

Anything can be driven aggressively. The Soul EV is the wrong tool for that job.

How's its handling?

Decidedly Korean.

There are 3 different steering modes available on the Soul EV - "Normal", "Sport", and "Comfort". I use "Normal" most of the time - the handling is similar to most vehicles' power steering. I've played a little with the "Sport" a couple of times. The steering is more responsive in "Sport" mode, and maybe a little stiffer, less power steering-like. I've even manager to over-accelerate on 1 occasion, in the "wrong place" and get a speeding warning ... something I had not had in almost 10 years ... so the power is definitely there!

The stock tires are definitely not up to the task. But with a decent set of tires, it might be fun...though the HP will run out quickly too.

I think Kia did a great job with the suspension damping--the ride is both comfortable yet controlled. There's none of the floaty feeling you get from some other compact cars.

The weight and placement of the battery pack gives the car better balance and turn-in feel than the gas-powered Soul.

The traction control system intervenes pretty easily, so turn it off if you want to get a feel for the chassis' true character.

Acceleration tapers off quickly above 50 mph, and the top speed is quite low at 93 mph (150 kph).

tractioninc said:
I think Kia did a great job with the suspension damping--the ride is both comfortable yet controlled. There's none of the floaty feeling you get from some other compact cars.

The weight and placement of the battery pack gives the car better balance and turn-in feel than the gas-powered Soul.

The traction control system intervenes pretty easily, so turn it off if you want to get a feel for the chassis' true character.

Acceleration tapers off quickly above 50 mph, and the top speed is quite low at 93 mph (150 kph).

It feels a little over-sprung and under-damped to my butt, but I suppose that's very subjective. Large road imperfections upset the suspension of the Soul more dramatically than my in my Volt and the Soul takes longer to settle.

As for low center of gravity, relatively accurate steering, and acceleration perception I'm in agreement. It's an enjoyable car to drive and I think overall they did a fine job with chassis tuning.

How does "over-sprung and under-damped" feel? Any example?

If you own the car, would you consider aftermarket spring and dampers? :)

I believe in aftermarket suspension for everything! But as this is a leased car, I doubt I'll modify anything. If I was leasing a Leaf, however, I'd be pretty tempted. Nissan cut some corners in that department.

mtndrew1 said:
Large road imperfections upset the suspension of the Soul more dramatically than my in my Volt...
That's because it's higher off the ground. It's a truck. I get this shake-up twice a day on 580 through Oakland/San Leandro.

Once I hit smooth pavement (Marin), it's fantastic. Steering on Sport mode, and don't even have to move the wheel.

Back