Car at dealership, waiting for battery. Why?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuffMedb

Hi all,

It seems that folks waiting for an EV battery replacement leave their cars at the dealership while the replacement is in process.

Why?

If the car is drivable, and assuming that the dealer is not just sending the battery in to be 'refurbished', why not keep the car until the new battery arrives and the dealer is ready to install it?

Thanks in advance.

Cars that have recently had the battery management system recall performed may not be drivable. Many cars have failed into limp home mode (tortoise indicator) and will not produce enough power for acceleration. Also, there is anecdotal evidence that dealers have been instructed to hold onto cars that have failed in this manner. Also, some buy-backs have been reported. Its not at all clear that replacement batteries will be supplied, or what the ultimate fix is for this issue.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2023/RCLRPT-23V218-8936.PDF

pg

Hi all,

It seems that folks waiting for an EV battery replacement leave their cars at the dealership while the replacement is in process.

Why?

If the car is drivable, and assuming that the dealer is not just sending the battery in to be 'refurbished', why not keep the car until the new battery arrives and the dealer is ready to install it?

Thanks in advance.
my usable mileage was down to 40 per charge which was unacceptable. In that case why would I have it sitting at home instead of on their lot taking up their space.

When the original battery in our 2016 was dying (2021-2022) we drove it for about five months after the "techline case" was opened, during which time the full-charge range fell from ~50 miles to ~20 miles and finally I got power limited while climbing a hill in the left lane at 55 mph. That was when we said "no more" and took the offered rented car (a Toyota Corolla) while we waited another six weeks for the battery to arrive and be installed.

This replacement battery installation (completed in November of 2022) just had the BMS/wiring harness recall done but since it didn't throw a trouble code right away, we brought it home and will drive it until we can't (or we trade it in for something else in a couple of years or so). But with this "upgrade" for this recall, it could go into turtle mode on us without warning (or so I've been led to believe on this forum) so I have no idea what we're in for.

at a certain point the degradation accelerates quickly and you run out of useable range. On the other side I had BMS recall done and go a loaner on Kia for 1 1/2 months as they found time to work on the car... all negotiable while under warranty.

Back