Soul Spy?

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
JejuSoul said:
What is also striking in our numbers is that as yet there is no climate difference. Cars in Norway and Sweden are behaving the same as cars in Holland and Germany which are the same as cars in California and Korea.

I wonder if this points to the effectiveness of Kia's thermal management. If the packs are kept within a healthy temperature range regardless of ambient conditions they may all degrade similarly.

I know when it's hot out and/or I'm QCing my car gets pretty aggressive pulling cabin air into the pack (I reach under the seat from time to time to determine whether or not the TMS is operating).

So I was not able to get my ELM 327 OBD II to work, but I had my car at the first service today and asked them to check my battery status (specifically the min/max deterioration). They say they did and that they had left a printout in my car when I got it back. When I got home, I found they had just printed out the SOH of the battery. I called them back, and they said that usually cars on their first service (15.000km service) had a state of health of 98%. Mine showed 100%. Does this sound right?

Anyways, no data from me yet, not until I get my new OBD II bluetooth dongle.

8wfr5y.jpg

A side note: They changed my instrument cluster because of flickering battery bars on the SOC meter. They could not get the new instrument cluster to show the proper mileage, so I now have an almost 1 year old car, showing only 48km on its odometer instead of the 16.357km (about 10.000 miles) that I have driven so far.

Birkeland said:
So I was not able to get my ELM 327 OBD II to work, but I had my car at the first service today and asked them to check my battery status (specifically the min/max deterioration). They say they did and that they had left a printout in my car when I got it back. When I got home, I found they had just printed out the SOH of the battery. I called them back, and they said that usually cars on their first service (15.000km service) had a state of health of 98%. Mine showed 100%. Does this sound right?
Yes, my car also showed 100% SOH at first service I made in october. I'm over 27000km now so service #2 is coming soon, probably beginning of april. I will try to get as much info from their instrument as possible. First time I got printouts of BMS, including all battery cell's individual voltages, and also 2 pages VMC (Vehicle Motor Control) data. No deterioration data though. Guess they need to enter the 'advanced' tabs...
Almost everything in the BMS report is now identified in the Soul Spy project, but not SOH. Maybe the instrument computes it on the fly?

Birkeland said:
A side note: They changed my instrument cluster because of flickering battery bars on the SOC meter. They could not get the new instrument cluster to show the proper mileage, so I now have an almost 1 year old car, showing only 48km on its odometer instead of the 16.357km (about 10.000 miles) that I have driven so far.
The service manual describes a procedure needed to do with the GDS after replacing the cluster. It's called "CLU Variant Coding", and they need a "code from GSW site", whatever that means... You would assume that the people doing these reparings are properly educated, but I highly suspect this is not the case, at least not in Sweden :(. I have also seen this flickering at two occations, but for now I think it would make more harm than good to try having it fixed.

Hi,
I am the author of the EvBatMon suite of CAN/OBD Apps, and we are trying to support all EV over time. I have tried contacting JejuSoul to discuss supporting the Kia Soul EV in our App, however they have not responded to my PM's.
If you are interested in helping us out in supporting the Kia Soul EV, please make contact via PM or our website http://www.EvPositive.com.

There is a comment on the battery ageing thread about a car in Switzerland that has Kia Diagnostic data pictured. I will post one of the pictures below. The interesting part for us is the reading of the State of Health (SOH) of the battery. Our decoding of the BMS PID data was done by Alkl using the same German version of the diagnostic software. But there is a difference between the German version and the English one that I have seen. The German one does not have values for Max and Min Deterioration. (Even though those PIDs are available).
Strangely the English one does not have a value for SOH. The SOH data must exist. It is needed by the GOM. We have been looking in the BMS fields but have yet to find it. The assumption is that all cars tested so far have zero deterioration in usable capacity hence we are looking for a value that is currently zero. But we have many unidentified fields that are zero. It is for this reason that it is still useful for users to post complete hex dumps of the data in this thread occasionally.

Confusingly there are two versions of the software. One is called GDS. It runs on a laptop connected to the car via wifi. The program runs inside Windows Internet Explorer. The picture we see at the bottom is from this software. It is what my local Kia service shop uses. The other software is called KDS. It runs on an Android phone or tablet. Data from this program is seen in a post just above this one by Birkeland in Norway. It is in English and does have a value for SOH.

24eq9nr.jpg

This is page 31 and over 300 posts I am looking at, but I can not find any informations about a running version of the KIASoulApp.
Did I miss the URL to download it?

Tom said:
I can not find any informations about a running version of the KIASoulApp.?
The SoulSpy app has never been released. Development seems to have stopped for now. The code is here https://github.com/pemessier/SoulSpy
There are a few screenshots of it working on this thread, so presumably at some stage it did something. Hopefully someone will take over this project and carry it forward.
In the meantime one alternative to SoulSpy is to add custom data into Torque. Another alternative is to use OVMS. There are threads for both on this site. This thread despite being called the SoulSpy thread has really always been about decoding the CANBUS.

I have proposed a swap between "Battery Module 8 Temperature" and "Battery Inlet Temperature" in the "BMC_Data" tab of the spreadsheet, because these temperatures don't behave as they should. It's seen best during a quick charge, because the battery modules get rapidly heated, and #8 doesn't follow the other 7. Take a look at this:
Code:
#1  #2  #3  #4  #5  #6  #7  #8  Inl Min Max HT1 HT2
21  18  20  19  19  18  19  19  19  19  20  17  17
28  27  28  27  27  27  27  21  27  27  28  21  21
#1-#8 are the Battery module temperatures, then Inlet temperature, Min/Max temps and HT1-HT2 are the Battery Heater temperatures.
Line 1 is temperatures (in degr C) after an hour of driving and just before QC start.
Line 2 is temperatures after 13min QC at 41-45kW. #8 should be swapped with 'Inl', because the Inlet temperature is the air temp inside the battery pack, which would more likely not have the rapid temp increase as the battery modules, more like the heaters, I think. And of course, the #8 is way out of the Min/Max range.

Any objections to this? :)

JejuSoul said:
Tom said:
I can not find any informations about a running version of the KIASoulApp.?
The SoulSpy app has never been released. Development seems to have stopped for now. The code is here https://github.com/pemessier/SoulSpy

The link doesn't work, and when I search for "SoulSpy" on github there are no results.

Any other development projects that have not dropped offline? Or anyone that can provide the latest version of the SoulSpy code, so I can start a new github repo?

langemand said:
Any other development projects that have not dropped offline?

We are currently testing a version of our app EvBatMon (EV Battery Monitor) for the Kia Soul EV. We hope to release the first version for the Kia Soul EV in the next fortnight, however it is a commercial App so no open source. We are not against open source projects, however by charging a small amount for our product we can invest in making EvBatMon a great tool for all EV owners.

If you would like to follow the release of the Kia Soul EV version and look at EvBatMon for other EV we have already supported, see http://www.evpositive.com/evbatmon-for-soul.html

langemand said:
The link doesn't work, and when I search for "SoulSpy" on github there are no results.
Sorry for the typo in my link. The code for SoulSpy is here: https://github.com/pemessier/SoulEVSpy
It would be great if someone could keep the SoulSpy project alive. I am not able to code this, but if you need any other help please ask. Btw the project I think is closest to ours is CanZE not LeafSpy. See http://canze.fisch.lu/ and https://github.com/fesch/CanZE

Other alternatives do already exist: OVMS is the most powerful. There are a list of PID codes to add to Torque Pro. And as mentioned above there will soon be an EVBatMon. I encourage all, but If I had a choice SoulSpy would come first.

JejuSoul said:
The code for SoulSpy is here: https://github.com/pemessier/SoulEVSpy
That looks good, I will see what I can do with it. I am a professional software developer, and even though I haven't worked with Java or mobile development before, I am confident I can do the code. The question is when I will get the time to make some progress on it.

I haven't got an OBD-II dongle yet, any idea what will work with SoulEVSpy, and be good enough for exploration?

For SoulSpy get a Konnwei / Maxiscan KW902. It is the one many of us have, and it is the one that is working best despite being a cheap clone. It is also the one recommended by CanZE and LeafSpy. see http://canze.fisch.lu/elm327/
Code:
Due to a recent cost reduction (and feature reduction) many of the cheap ELM327 OBD-II Bluetooth adapters from Asia no longer work with the Leaf and report themselves to be version 2.1. The only one currently recommended is the Bluetooth Konnwei KW902 which still supports all the needed ELM commands to communicate with the Leaf.
For any deep exploration of the CanBUS you probably want something other than a Bluetooth dongle. The best seems to be the one that Alex used earlier on this thread, Vector CANalyzer 8 with a CANcaseXL. I imagine that is very expensive. Perhaps any wifi dongle connected to a laptop would suffice.

JeroenE said:
TyrelHaveman said:
You get a 2 kW cable? In the US, the cable we get can plug in to a 15 A x 110 V outlet, and using the 80% rule for constant current, cannot legally draw more than 12 A, which at 110 V would be just 1.32 kW.
In Europe the normal household voltage is 230V. The normal outlet charger that comes with the car takes 10A which is 2.3 kW.

In the US the household voltage is nominally 120V but people don't understand that and call it 110V even though the only way it'd ever be 110V is if they had a major problem and their lights were dimming or were about to lose power entirely.

In fact my household voltage hangs around between 117 and 125 often closer to the middle but very commonly above 120. I consider it abnormally low if it is below 119.

The 80% rule is true but a 15A 120V circuit at 80% is 1,440 watts or 1.44 kW.

Attention all appmakers dealing with the Soul EV:

I think I have identified a difference in the data from the OBC controller, between YM15 and YM16.

Had my YM15 in for 2:nd service (30000km) this week, and borrowed the dealer's YM16 demo car during that day. Hooked on my OBD logger and found some interesting data to compare with what I have got from my car. One thing was the fact that the A/C current value showed over 360A during L2 charging.. When I checked the raw data I found that the A/C current bytes were moved away 2 bytes, and seems to be replaced by the HV battery DC voltage.

Info also here

Does anyone have access to both YM15 and YM16 to confirm this?

The change in the OBC did not occur with the model year. On page 16 of this thread Tyrel Haveman posts his OBC data. He has a MY 2016 but clearly has version 1 of the OBC. My guess is that the second version of the OBC fixes the charging fault errors that occur in Norway and Canada.

JejuSoul said:
The change in the OBC did not occur with the model year. On page 16 of this thread Tyrel Haveman posts his OBC data. He has a MY 2016 but clearly has version 1 of the OBC. My guess is that the second version of the OBC fixes the charging fault errors that occur in Norway and Canada.
OK! So the apps need to check on this data to display the correct A/C current. Shouldn't be a problem, just check if OBC1 current value is more than say 200, then it's OBC2 and the real current value is on the next two positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back