Kia buy back

Kia Soul EV Forum

Help Support Kia Soul EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdwaia

Hello....

Kia is in the process of buying back some Soul EV's that are still under warranty.
We're negotiating the price right now.
Kia only wants to pay the wholesale value and I want the retail value.
I think a warranty should cover replacement cost.
What do you think?

Absolutely to the retail valuation (or a higher allowance towards a replacement KIA).

Hello....

Kia is in the process of buying back some Soul EV's that are still under warranty.
What do you think?
Which model and year do you have? How far back are they going? And what is the reason for the buyback?

When Chevy bought my Bolt, it was whatever I paid minus a some cents for every KMs driven. With around 25,000 kms driven Chevy covered around 90% what I paid for the car which was far, far above what the market price would have been. Sounds like Kia is taking a much worse approach.

Hello....

What do you think?
IMHO, I think you should have an attorney representing you. There is no wholesale value to a car they have made worthless. The value should be what it would cost to replace with an equivalent functioning car.

Hello....

What do you think?
We are waiting for the third battery for our 2017 Kia Soul EV and it has been sitting in the dealership since November. Interested to know how you got to the buy back part and how are you getting on dealing with them?

When Chevy bought my Bolt, it was whatever I paid minus a some cents for every KMs driven. With around 25,000 kms driven Chevy covered around 90% what I paid for the car which was far, far above what the market price would have been. Sounds like Kia is taking a much worse approach.
Chevy seems to have given a great deal. Well done them.

We have no idea yet what Kia is doing. It doesn't seem good.
But. Ten years ago a group of Nissan Leaf owners got a deal from Nissan,
It was talked about a lot on the forums beforehand and then nothing.
I have no idea what the deal was.
I just assume the deal included an NDA which is why we never heard anything about it.
It may be the same again.

My 2016 Kia Soul EV+ has been sitting at the dealers since early February with no definite end in sight. They promise to install a new battery but have no idea when the battery will appear here. I am not the only one in the local area waiting for a fix.

Meanwhile, I contacted Kia Corporate and they offered to buy back my Soul for a reasonable dollar amount. They had an April 3rd deadline to decide and I let the deadline pass as I would really just rather have my car back in working condition. I will wait awhile longer for the fix and am assuming that I could get another offer from Corporate if I finally give up on getting a new battery and let Kia buy back the car.

Same situation. I have a 2015. Battery pack was replaced twice then got the BMS battery fail again in November. Left to rot at the Kia dealership with no repairs or communication, I reached my breaking point after four months and demanded my car back. For the past four weeks, I've been driving it daily in power-limp mode, which isn't ideal but does the job for local travel. I also reached out to Kia's corporate "Good Will Department," requesting gas reimbursement for the loaner car during my car's absence, but my request was flatly rejected. Needless to say, I don't have much good will at the moment for KIA.

Last edited:
My 2016 Kia Soul EV+ has been sitting at the dealers since early February with no definite end in sight. They promise to install a new battery but have no idea when the battery will appear here. I am not the only one in the local area waiting for a fix.

Meanwhile, I contacted Kia Corporate and they offered to buy back my Soul for a reasonable dollar amount. They had an April 3rd deadline to decide and I let the deadline pass as I would really just rather have my car back in working condition. I will wait awhile longer for the fix and am assuming that I could get another offer from Corporate if I finally give up on getting a new battery and let Kia buy back the car.
What was the reasonable dollar amount? Do you feel comfortable sharing? I am in the same boat - my car has been at the dealer almost 3 months but no buy back talk. Just a loaner car and no new information. I swear the battery is fine - the problem started the day after I did the harness recall but they won't believe me.

Our 2017 Soul has been at the dealership since November with no update or repair. 3 weeks ago having read this thread we reached out to Kia Corporate. They forwarded it to their escalation department who were supposed to respond in 7 working days. Nothing. We have the name and number of the person who is now handling the case and have left two messages. No response. I too am interested in the offer they have given you. I have lost complete faith in the company and the car. My understanding is that at best they will repair the battery in the car which has now gone wrong twice. And this is our second battery in 18 months. The car has now sat in the dealership for nearly 8 months of the 18 months we have owned it. And meanwhile the warranty is running out fast so by the time we get it back-if we ever do- then the car could be completely worthless if it goes wrong again and warranty has run out.

Same thing here with my 2016 KSEV, it was running fine until they replaced the harnesses (I don't even know what these are) and the tortoise appeared. 4 months now. I read somewhere else that your warranty is safe, it's a recall and it happened before the expiration of the war period. Do you think there are enough of us for some legal sharks to get interested in a class action suit?

Same basic story. They tore my soul apart in November. I've since moved states and the dealership wouldn't put my car back together or continue a rental car in a different state. Kia corporate would give me some money for a rental car but it fell $22 a day short of the going rate. I can't afford it and have to beg for a car to get food. Still talking with corporate but it's taking too long. It's not right!

Back